By Clive L.N. Ruggles
An authoritative creation to the attention-grabbing subject of archaeoastronomy―ancient peoples' figuring out and use of the skies.
• Over 2 hundred A–Z entries overlaying extensive definitions and ideas, case reviews from 5 continents, subject matters and matters, gadgets within the sky because the concentration of fable, simple options, and influential people
• shiny illustrations together with the stone circles at Avebury, comets, novae, and meteors
• basic, jargon-free reasons of easy astronomical concepts
• Over forty photos together with the Stonehenge Heelstone at sunrise; the Cosmic Axis on the Forbidden urban, Beijing; the Temple of the solar at Teotihuacan; Ahu Huri at Urenga, Easter Island; the Aboriginal stone configuration at Lake Bolac, Victoria, Australia; and more
Read Online or Download Ancient Astronomy: An Encyclopedia of Cosmologies and Myth PDF
Best comparative religion books
Spiritual reports: the most important ideas is an obtainable, A-Z source, defining and explaining keyword phrases and concepts imperative to the research of faith. Exploring large and routine subject matters that are appropriate in either japanese and western religions, cross-cultural examples are supplied for every time period to offer a accomplished assessment of the topic.
The position that angels play in people's lives is explored in-depth during this insightful and informative publication. Inspirational tales inform of striking ways in which angels have healed and helped contributors in the world, encouraging readers to appear to their very own dad or mum angels for information in existence. The hierarchy of angels is usually clarified, giving unique information regarding various archangels and angels of security.
In quantity 2 of this huge paintings, Mircea Eliade keeps his magisterial growth in the course of the heritage of non secular principles. The religions of old China, Brahmanism and Hinduism, Buddha and his contemporaries, Roman faith, Celtic and German religions, Judaism, the Hellenistic interval, the Iranian syntheses, and the start of Christianity—all are encompassed during this quantity.
Famous students within the research of religions raise thus far and elucidate the dialogue at the 3 such a lot debated ways in comparative faith, particularly, the hermeneutical, the explanatory or cognitivist and the serious one. The ways, standpoints and strategies of learning faith are disputed in an outspoken and difficult approach, severely and notably arguing professionals and cons.
- The Death and Resurrection of the Beloved Son: The Transformation of Child Sacrifice in Judaism and Christianity
- Three Eyes for the Journey: African Dimensions of the Jamaican Religious Experience
- Dialectic of Enlightenment: Critical Theory and the Messianic Light
- The Politics of Religious Change on the Upper Guinea Coast: Iconoclasm Done and Undone (International African Library EUP)
- From Temple to Meeting House: The Phenomenology and Theology of Places of Worship (Religion and Society)
- The Influence of Rome: Buddhism, Christian and Islam
Additional info for Ancient Astronomy: An Encyclopedia of Cosmologies and Myth
And there is the question of what exactly we mean by “new moon”: there is a one- or two-day period each month when the moon is not visible at all (astronomical new moon occurs in the middle of this), but it is the first reappearance of the crescent moon in the evening sky (the popular concept of “new moon”) that is the most significant event in visual terms, widely recognized even in the today’s world, from small indigenous groups to major religious calendars. Finally, although some of the marks appear round and others crescent-shaped, there is no apparent correlation between the shape of the marks themselves and the lunar phases.
Local communities often regard themselves as the descendents of mountain deities; consequently mountain peaks—and especially volcanoes—occupy a prominent place in their cosmic beliefs and communal rituals. Mountains and mountain gods are seen as the controllers of rain, and their summits sometimes remain an important focus of ceremonial activity today. These metaphysical convictions do have a foundation in the physical world, in that prominent mountains have a strong effect on local meteorological phenomena.
Recording and regulating the movement of perishable commodities, for example, demanded absolute agreement about the date. Yet the beginning of each month, and the insertion of intercalary months, was determined 10 Ancient Egyptian Calendars by observation, and observations could differ; as a result, it was often difficult to be certain either about the month or the day in the month. The result was the development of a quite independent civil calendar used for administration purposes. This comprised twelve “months” of exactly thirty days each, divided into ten-day periods known (rather confusingly, given that the word is commonly taken to mean “ten years”) as decades, followed by a five-day period known as the additional or epagomenal days, making a total of 365.